DCATS strives for its meetings to be safe spaces. We respect the identity and personal background of all present.
While meetings begin with a topic, discussion is open and participation is not required.
How to Find Us
The support group normally meets on the second Sunday of every month, except June due to Pride events, from 5 to 7 PM.
Meetings are held at the Whitman-Walker Clinic ETMC, but this is subject to change.
HIPS Syringe Exchange
Free safer sex materials may also be available during the syringe exchange.
With such a wide membership base, our monthly discussion and support topics span an equally broad range.
Our ongoing and fluctuating list of topics often includes:
- Questioning Gender Identity: The process of self-discovery and self-acceptance.
- Hormones: Living with T and without T. Medical, social, and psychological implications of testosterone.
- Coming Out and Coping: A safe place to talk about fears about coming out (or not to come out) and explore options. How have other people done it? How did people react to various approaches and outcomes?
- Trans in the Workplace: Employment issues and options.
- Surgery: For those pre- and post- op. Sharing choices, experiences, challenges, surprises, aftercare, and feelings. Might include "show and tell" depending on group interest.
- Life After Transition: Long-term transition issues, such as managing your past, healthcare, longevity, and integrating the past and present.
- Spirituality: Religion, beliefs, and gender identity.
- Dating and Sexuality: Discussions that include any and all sexualities.
- Living in the Gray: Gender fluidity and identifying as genderqueer.
DCATS seeks to be as accessible as possible for all of our members.
Meetings will always be held in a space that is ADA compliant and we are always happy to accommodate a member or potential member's needs.
Sign language interpreters are available upon advance request.